Just last Friday I posted about President Bush’s desire to have the “Pentagon Papers” released to the public. I asked why they weren’t being made public.
2002 Iraqi Intelligence Correspondence concerning the presence of al-Qaida Members in Iraq. Correspondence between IRS members on a suspicion, later confirmed, of the presence of an Al-Qaeda terrorist group. Moreover, it includes photos and names.
Now think back to Colin Powell’s speech before the U.N. in February, 2003:
But what I want to bring to your attention today is the potentially much more sinister nexus between Iraq and the Al Qaida terrorist network, a nexus that combines classic terrorist organizations and modern methods of murder. Iraq today harbors a deadly terrorist network headed by Abu Musab Al-Zarqawi, an associated in collaborator of Osama bin Laden and his Al Qaida lieutenants…
The network is teaching its operatives how to produce ricin and other poisons. Let me remind you how ricin works. Less than a pinch–image a pinch of salt–less than a pinch of ricin, eating just this amount in your food, would cause shock followed by circulatory failure. Death comes within 72 hours and there is no antidote, there is no cure. It is fatal.
And speaking of “ricin and other poisons”… another document, entitled “Usage of Special Equipment” details Iraq’s plans, back in the late 1980s, to attack parts of Iran using chemical weapons (identified throughout the document as “Special Equipment”), including Ricin, Sarin and Mustard Gas. From the translated version:
4. The above mentioned targets, in paragraphs(A-B)under item 3, are important bases for Iran’s agents and members of Iranian enemies, are far away (as targets for special equipment)from our units. They are considered more appropriate than others to strike with our equipment for being located in low regions which helps the chemical fumes to settle. We can also treat them with available ways (air force, tubular bombers, Samtiyyat (Helicopters) and at night
5. Our directorate suggested striking both targets, referred to in item 3, during this period using two thirds of available special equipment (Ricin) plus one third of available special equipment (Mustard Gas) and keeping the balance for emergency situations that might arise in the operation theater.
Other documents reveal Saddam’s regime’s interest in French elections as well as instructions from the Iraqi Intelligence Service (IIS) addressing procedures surrounding U.N. inspections. Still another document discusses the prospect of Iraqis traveling to Afghanistan in 2002 to fight alongside the Mujahadeen against the U.S.-led forces.
This is just the tip of the iceberg.
UPDATE: The blogswarm has begun on these documents and bloggers are translating them faster than the U.S. government. Freeper jveritas has the translation of document #: CMPC-2003-001488 that, if the translation is accurate, appears to link Iraq and Osama bin Laden:
In the Name of God the Merciful
Presidency of the Republic
To the respectful Mr. M.A.M
Our source in Afghanistan No 11002 (for information about him see attachment 1) provided us with information that that Afghani Consul Ahmad Dahestani (for information about him see attachment 2) told him the following:
1. That Osama Bin Laden and the Taliban in Afghanistan are in contact with Iraq and it that previously a group from Taliban and Osama Bin Laden group visited Iraq.
2. That America has proof that the government of Iraq and Osama Bin Laden group have shown cooperation to hit target within America.
3. That in case it is proven the involvement of Osama Bin Laden group and the Taliban in these destructive operations it is possible that American will conduct strikes in Iraq and Afghanistan.
4. That the Afghani Consul heard about the subject of Iraq relation with Osama Bin Laden group during his stay in Iran.
5. In light of this we suggest to write to the Commission of the above information.
Please view… Yours… With regards
Signature: Initials : A.M.M, 15/9/2001
Foot note: Immediately send to the Chairman of Commission